As a newbie in the blog space, I’m still trying to establish a good routine for creating content but also making meaningful connections through conversations with other bloggers. Imagine my surprise when I was nominated for The Sunshine Blogger award by the Jen at Books on the 747. The award is given from one blogger; “to those who are creative, positive, and inspiring, while spreading sunshine to the blogging community.”
Well consider it all sunshine friends because this is another blogging milestone I have to celebrate.
As nominee, you’re asked a series of questions by the person who nominated you to answer on your blog. Here’s my answers to the questions Jen gave me!
What is your favourite part about blogging?
- I think my favorite part about blogging so far is meeting some amazing bloggers by joining The Classics Club. I’m hoping to share meaningful reviews but I love reading the thoughts of others on some of he books I’ve read or am interested in reading.
Is there a story behind the name of your blog?
- Yes, there’s a story. I shared it here when I started my blog. The short version is I drink a lot tea and read a lot of books, thus the name, Books by the Cup.
What’s your favourite blog post that you’ve written?
- That’s really a tough question but I’m going to go with Moby Dick and War and Peace. If you read them I hope they make you laugh!
What are your thoughts on audiobooks?
- There are few things I leave home without, audiobooks included. Audiobooks have CHANGED my reading life for the better. I have literally been able to NOT put my book down (thank you Whispersync) when I have to adult. It’s wonderful to pick up were I left off when I’m running errands or driving in the car. Favorite narrators include Juliet Stevenson, Ralph Cosham and Nadia May.
Who is the best character you’ve met in a book?
- This is a hard question because there is so much about characters that make them memorable. I’m going to pick Janie from Their Eyes Were Watching God because I learned more from here when I read the book again recently. I also have to shout out Marian Holcombe from The Woman in White, she’s the star of the book in my opinion.
Who is your most-read author?
- J. California Cooper, Agatha Christie, John Grisham, John Steinbeck and Fredrik Backman
Are there any books you’ve read more than twice?
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Are you part of a book club?
- Do readalongs and buddy read count? Virtually I’m part of a few suppose. But in real life, one I meet with, I am part of a book club my friend started last year. Before that I organized one for about 10 years and loved it.
Which 3 books would you take to a desert island?
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Middlemarch by George Eliot and My Kindle Oasis (Yes that’s cheating but who can pick just 3 books?)
Which famous person do you think is definitely a bookworm?
- From one of my recent reads, The Obamas (recently finished Becoming).
Has book blogging changed your reading habits at all?
- Blogging has encouraged me to be more open with my thoughts, feelings and observations about books. I don’t want to regurgitate the general premise of a book but at the same time I don’t want to spoil the book in case someone is reading my review. I hope my reviews bring feelings to the person reading them that will encourage them to see books differently.
Thanks again Jen for nominating me and for the fun questions. My questions for my nominees are:
- What’s the best book you’ve read in the last 6 months and why?
- What’s the worse book you’ve read and why?
- What book have you read recently that’s outside of our comfort zone?
- What has blogging taught you about yourself and others?
- What format do you read the most in? (audiobook, e-reader, physical copy)
- Why is reading an important part of your life?
- How many unread books do you have?
- What book would you re-read every year (if you like to re-read)?
- What is the most memorable bookstore or library you’ve been to?
- What’s your favorite genre?
- What advice would you give to a new blogger to improve conversation and engagement?
I nominate these bloggers who I’ve enjoyed so much conversation with since starting this journey!
- Melanie @ Grab the Lapels
- FF @ Fan Fiction
- Jen @ Tarheel Reader
- Lauren @ Bookish Byron
- Brona @ Brona’s Books
- Lalia @ Big Reading Life
- Erin @ Feel Learn Wonder
- Lily @ Retrospective Lily
If you would like to participate because there’s no obligation, all you have to do is: